STARTALK is ... Community!
STARTALK is ... Opportunity!
STARTALK is ... Teachers!
STARTALK – Start Talking!
Since the first program cycle in 2007, CLASSRoad has been a recipient of highly competitive annual grants from STARTALK—a U.S. federal government initiative launched in 2006 to expand and improve the teaching and learning of Arabic, Chinese, Dari, Hindi, Persian, Russian, Swahili, Turkish, and Urdu, strategically important, yet less commonly taught, world languages (LCTLs). Through this funding, CLASSRoad has established language teacher training programs in collaboration with California State University, San Bernardino, and has developed a comprehensive online training system. CLASSRoad has recruited experts who exemplify best practices in language education and in language teacher development, and has contributed to the formation of an extensive educator community of practice that seeks continuous improvement in such criteria as outcomes-driven program design, standards-based curriculum planning, learner-centered approaches, excellence in selection and development of materials, and meaningful assessment of outcomes.
STARTALK is a national project funded by the National Security Agency. STARTALK’s mission is to increase the number of U.S. citizens learning, speaking, and teaching critical-need languages, with programs nationwide for students (K-16) and teachers. https://startalk.umd.edu
Upcoming CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses
InProgress CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses
Past CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses
- STARTALK Summer 2021: E-learning and Language Assessment
- STARTALK: Planning Authentic & Engaging eTeaching January 9- March 7, 2021
- STARTALK Summer 2019 – STARTALK: Planning for Authentic, Interactive Language Experiences
- STARTALK Summer 2018 – STARTALK: Planning for Engaged Language Learning
- STARTALK Summer 2017 – STARTALK Principles for Meaningful Online Learning
- STARTALK Summer 2016 – Advancing TELL Online with Comprehensible Input
- “Sahtain” (“To Your Health”) – STARTALK Summer Online Arabic Student Program
- STARTALK Summer 2015 – Taking TELL Online: Planning Effective Distance Language Instruction
- STARTALK Summer 2014 – Become an Effective Online Language Teacher
- Teaching Languages Online (Spring 2014 Session)
- STARTALK Summer 2013 – Designing Blended Language Instruction for Anywhere/Anytime Learners
- STARTALK Summer 2012 – Technology Literacy for Teaching Digital Natives
Self-Paced CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses
STARTALK Summer 2011 – Integration of Assessment in Lesson Planning for Arabic Teaching
STARTALK Summer 2010 – Arabic Teaching in Action
STARTALK Summer 2009 – Teaching Arabic – Content Based Instruction
STARTALK Summer 2008 – Teaching Arabic – The Communicative Approach.
Follow Us on Twitter for Announcements of New Classes!
Apply today! classroad.org/courses/classr… pic.twitter.com/6huyM3sne4