STARTALK is ... Community!
STARTALK is ... Opportunity!
STARTALK is ... Teachers!
STARTALK – Start Talking!
Since the first program cycle in 2007, CLASSRoad has been a recipient of highly competitive annual grants from STARTALK—a U.S. federal government initiative launched in 2006 to expand and improve the teaching and learning of Arabic, Chinese, Dari, Hindi, Persian, Russian, Swahili, Turkish, and Urdu, strategically important, yet less commonly taught, world languages (LCTLs). Through this funding, CLASSRoad has established language teacher training programs in collaboration with California State University, San Bernardino, and has developed a comprehensive online training system. CLASSRoad has recruited experts who exemplify best practices in language education and in language teacher development, and has contributed to the formation of an extensive educator community of practice that seeks continuous improvement in such criteria as outcomes-driven program design, standards-based curriculum planning, learner-centered approaches, excellence in selection and development of materials, and meaningful assessment of outcomes.
Current CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses
Past CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses
- STARTALK Summer 2018 – STARTALK: Planning for Engaged Language Learning
- STARTALK Summer 2017 – STARTALK Principles for Meaningful Online Learning
- STARTALK Summer 2016 – Advancing TELL Online with Comprehensible Input
- STARTALK Summer 2015 – Taking TELL Online: Planning Effective Distance Language Instruction
- STARTALK Summer 2014 – Become an Effective Online Language Teacher
- Teaching Languages Online (Spring 2014 Session)
- STARTALK Summer 2013 – Designing Blended Language Instruction for Anywhere/Anytime Learners
- STARTALK Summer 2012 – Technology Literacy for Teaching Digital Natives
Self-Paced CLASSRoad STARTALK Courses